These Greek style beans are creamy, soft, herby and tomato-y and a fabulous comfort food. A bit of time chopping and stirring then into the oven for a couple of hours for delicious magic to work.
If you don't have a Dutch oven (heavy lidded casserole dish), use a heavy based large saucepan and transfer to a large oven proof dish and cover tightly with foil before placing in the oven. Make sure in either case, it is covered tightly. Put a layer of foil under the lid if necessary which will help seal it.
SERVES: 6-10 as part of a bigger meal
TIME: 30 minutes plus 2 hours in oven
INGREDIENTS:2 medium onions, chopped
3 celery stalks, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 cup Cockatoo Grove Organic Australian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp dried oregano (or 2 tsp fresh)
1 tsp cinnamon powder
2 medium sized fresh tomatoes, coarsely chopped
2 tins (440g each) chopped tomatoes
1 tin (1.2kg) giant lima beans (gigantes), drained. (Found in continental delis and some supermarkets.)
Parsley, chopped, to serve, alongside a big, Greek Salad!
- Turn oven onto 180C.
- Stir onions, celery and garlic in large Dutch oven with olive oil, over medium heat, until soft.
- Add tomato paste, oregano and cinnamon and stir for a minute.
- Add fresh and tinned tomatoes, sitr thoroughly and cook until hot.
- Add drained beans and stir them gently through the sauce.
- Place lid on tightly then cook in oven for 2 hours.