Perfect for packed lunches, picnics or morning tea. Switch out the rhubarb and apple for your favourite fruit - peaches, pears, berries ...
Chunky, fruity and not too sweet, with gorgeous flavours of honey and olive oil.
Rhubarb is an excellent source of vitamin K, which is an essential vitamin for bone health.
1 ½ cups self-raising flour
½ cup plain flour
½ cup Cockatoo Grove Organic Australian extra virgin olive oil - we used our Mellow
¼ cup honey
¾ cup milk
Roughly equal quantities of rhubarb & apple, chopped - we used about 2 cups of each.
Generous drizzle of honey and extra virgin olive oil.
- Roughly chop rhubarb and apple into chunky pieces – around 1-2cm.
- In a baking tray, mix the fruit with a generous drizzle each of honey and extra virgin olive oil and about half a teaspoon of cinnamon.
- Roast at 180C for about 15 minutes until well softened and the edges of the apple pieces are just starting to brown.
- Grease a muffin pan with olive oil and dust with flour.
- Mix flours into a medium sized bowl.
- In another bowl, lightly whisk extra virgin olive oil, honey, milk and eggs.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir gently until just combined.
- Gently stir through about 1 ½ cups of the rhubarb and apple.
- Spoon into muffin tray. Top with a few extra pieces of fruit.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden.
- remove from oven and leave in tray for a few minutes before taking out and cooling on a wire rack.
Serve warm or at room temperature with Greek style yoghurt.
Once completely cool, these freeze and thaw really well.